I have wanted to make the basketweave bezel taught by Eni Oken for a while, and I finally decided what bead to use. Surprisingly, I found that my bead was not much bigger than the cabuchon Eni had used in her tutorial — that’s unusual because I usually choose stones which turn out to be much much larger than the ones that Eni designs her tutorials around (this is also the first time I have ever actually measured my stone before I jumped in).
I went ahead and worked directly with sterling, as always (although I did dither a bit at Metalliferous as to whether or not I should buy Artistic Wire to practice) I am glad that I went ahead with the sterling, because that made me keep on working even when I began to get frustrated, and, of course, now I have a piece I can wear. I used a chiastolite (andalusite, cross stone) coin-shaped bead, and wired it in so that it would not turn.
As usual, my piece turned out nothing like the piece in the tutorial I was following. First, I read the tutorial through and, at the end, I saw a bezel I liked better than the one detailed in the tutorial. I stared at the picture for a while and then decided how it had been done. Then, nothing came out straight. Then, when I made the bezel, I realized that I was going to have a lot of extra wire, so I decided to make the bezel differently. Oh, the changes just kept happening. (Someone once asked me how I do my paintings, and I told them that they “grew”. Yes, that is the right description for my work.)
This is what the tutorial picture looks like, just so you can see how much my piece “grew”.